Saturday, May 23, 2015

How the Second-Book Fellowship Year Began

Let's kick this right off, shall we? Not content with reveling in the thought of the academic year off, I've decided to think about how my fellowship actually began the minute I submitted my grades for this past semester. In fact, I actually gave that last senior portfolio a kiss when I picked it up.

Of course, the first 48 hours of my leave have been less than spectacular, given the fact that my Kalamazoo cold is still lingering, to the point where I only go out in public if I can maintain a three-foot distance between myself and the nearest other human being. The week-long sore throat is gone, but my apartment looks like the place where Kleenex go to die.

Still, I'm not too troubled. I count on a full week to ten days at the end of every academic year to be sick, get well, and be a couch potato. So that's what I've embarked upon. There have been TV shows (Game of Thrones and The Fall, in case you're wondering), there has been a great round of long-delayed self-care appointment-scheduling (dentist, hair, chiropractor, massage, orthopedist, etc), and there has been gazing at the piles of papers and two weeks' worth of unopened mail and wondering whether today has been the day I'll tackle it.

My goal is to enter June with a clean-ish, organized-ish home and office, so I can set about the business of really thinking about my summer research trip, in which I will, at long last, tackle the notarial archives, which are always a bitch to sort through.[1]

And now... I think I need to get at least one chore knocked off my list.


[1] Oh, and about that research trip: since my secret identity is less secret with every passing year, I'm probably no longer gonna be quite so guarded about what I'm working on. You may even see pictures from Blarg City that clearly identify it. I will, however, continue to make up and insist on pseudonyms for people and places (myself included) -- purely because it amuses me to do so.

5 comments:

Comradde PhysioProfffe said...

Are you going to Blargistan for the entire year?

Notorious Ph.D. said...

No, silly! Blargistan for a month, then Fancy-Pants University for a year. In your neighborhood, give or take a state or two.

Comradde PhysioProffe said...

Coolio! Make sure to let me know when you arrive nearby!

anonymous said...

Wonderful post,Behind this achievement is the persevering and the assurance. I like the state of mind to begin the business and feel cheerful they achievement what they think about the wine shop but you can visit www.colonchecker.com/which-semicolon-checker-to-use to manage your task. Interestingly, the firm assurance and second is persevering. These the two things I can find in this articles. Furthermore, everybody like to drink the wine. It is a wonderful story.

anonymous said...

Good post,A few people in our field are experienced and all around qualified. Such individuals have the right stuff to give the best choice to the general population so they stayed away forever in the purposeless hand and get info to click on http://www.prepositionchecker.com/do-you-need-a-preposition-check-online/ if you wanna to get quality work. Also, you have what it takes to give the best wedding alternative for the general population with the goal that they returned back to you and value your work.