Monday, June 10, 2013

First 48 Hours in Bologna


  • Had lunch with another professor who’s been here a year, and who helped me orient myself.
  • Wandered into the cathedral just in time for a free art-historical tour of the side chapels.
  • Stocked the kitchen with bread, cheese, olive oil, salt, tomatoes, mâche, yogurt, honey, and fresh fruit.
  • Walked out one night for a gelato, and instead ended up wandering through the open door of a small church (I can’t resist an open door that is usually closed; I’ve always been a bit of an explorer) and happened upon the second half of a free concert by two a capella ensembles, performing together traditional Gregorian chant (the male ensemble) interwoven with the music of Hildegard von Bingen.



  • On the way home from this, still looking for gelato, ran across a film crew filming this: [1]

I also attended the first day of classes (3 1/2 hours in the morning: half grammar, half conversation). I ended up in classes that are challenging, but not so far over my head that I end up discouraged. In other words, they’re just right.

So far, other than the fact that the accommodations could use a coat of paint and some spot treatment on the couch, everything’s just about perfect.

[1] Oddly enough, I ran across her and her film crew today as well, in a different part of the city while I was on my way to lunch. One more sighting and she's going to think I'm following her. 

2 comments:

Historiann said...

Bolongna is a small city. Be sure to walk along that colonade that goes to the church. (I forget what it's called--it's really a fun walk in any kind of weather, but maybe nicer to do if it's kind of rainy because it's covered!)

Comradde PhysioProffe said...

Wandering into random little churches is my second favorite thing to do in Italy! The one in Barga (near Lucca) is awesome.