Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Today's LOL::sob::

July: I am awarded a smallish research travel grant by a certain government (not mine) -- yay!! I have been awarded this grant in the past. It helps usually to cover my plane ticket. Not bad. It is usually disbursed in October (so you eat the up-front costs, then sometime around Halloween, Free Money!), but this year we were informed that the checks would go out "by the end of the year."

December: We are informed that funds will be disbursed "by the end of January" (which is also the end of said country's fiscal year).

Today: we are informed that the foreign ministry in charge of these things hopes to be able to communicate with us in two to three months to let us know when checks will be disbursed.

I ain't never seein' this cash, I think.

...

In other news, I continue not to be dead. But monkey-fightin' busy. Still, I expect that regular blogging will resume soon. And if it doesn't, I hope to post something in two to three months letting you know when it will.


(Unrelated photo.)

6 comments:

Janice said...

Ah, waiting on reimbursements. Doesn't every researcher have a spare $$$$ lying around, ready to cover these costs until they are possibly repaid?

My provincial government currently owes me for two airline tickets. I'm hoping to get one of those reimbursed in the next month or two but won't see the money for the other until May or June. *sigh* This is why I haunt the seat sales on my favourite airline!

Historiann said...

Bummer, Notorious.

At least you get a line on your CV for the award. How could you know that months later, it might turn out to be non-stipendiary?

Comrade PhysioProf said...

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Yep, I'm waiting on one of those too. In fact, the situation in Grant-Bestowing Country is so grim that I'm half tempted to turn down the grant... I already made the trip and spent the money, and it didn't kill me, and I feel kind of icky waiting to be handed money when half my friends in GBC are unemployed.

Susan said...

Oh, phooey! I understand why non-citizens are at the end of the line, but still.

And this semester? I see no free time until the end of March...

Jonathan Jarrett said...

Them monkeys are everywhere. Good luck with the fight...