Thursday, July 2, 2009

Home Again

Last night, I slept in my own bed. For almost 8 hours straight. Woke up once, utterly disoriented in the dark, knowing I was in my own apartment, but not being able to remember how it was laid out. But other than that, all was well. Left unpacking until today. I'll be posting more soon, but in the meantime, here's a picture** from my trip (with more to follow):



Ooh! Bicycle! I should ride my bicycle today!


**I seem run into trouble whenever I photograph walls, getting a fisheye effect. Trusty point-and-shoot says I'm at the right distance, and I'm in focus, but still, problems.

4 comments:

Brian W. Ogilvie said...

The fisheye effect results from barrel distortion, which is common in zoom lenses at the short end of the zoom. Here's a brief explanation: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=barrel+distortion

You can correct it with image processing software if it really bugs you.

It's a nice photo, with the contrasting wall and door.

Susan said...

Welcome home! Hope you have a good bike ride...

Dr. S said...

The thing about point-and-shoots is that they tend to have really wide angle lenses--which means you're going to get that distortion, just as you might if you took a picture with a 10mm lens. It's also why you can usually get really good big-sky-landscape pictures with a point-and-shoot.

I like this picture even with the distortion!

Dr. S said...

But also, welcome home!