Thursday, January 15, 2009

Three Things

(warning: dull list-making post follows)



First of all, thanks to everyone who offered good wishes in the comments on the last post. I've deleted it now, because I've decided (rather belatedly) that there are some things that perhaps I should be keeping out of the blog, even though I took care to obscure the issues and particulars involved (so don't worry if you missed it, because there was absolutely no substance there). But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the support (I especially liked Alice's assertion that I have a "tribe" -- way cool).**

In the meantime, I'm putting one foot in front of the other, and taking up again a suggestion that my friend The Wonder Chimp (tm) brought up way back when: the idea of doing three things every day. Just three. So here are mine for today:

1. Complete syllabus for senior seminar and get reading list out to students. (This is not as dire as it sounds -- our semester doesn't begin for another week and a half, so y'all can be very, very envious.) [done -- now I just have to order those books for myself!]

2. Get out announcement of annual competition for Outside Project. This is one of those things that is the work of ten minutes, yet manages to get put off for ten weeks. ::sigh:: [also done, at least my end of it: there are some technical things that are out of my control right now.]

3. Go to exercise class, and push myself a bit, rather than just lifting the easy weight. [Done! Hooray! We'll have to see how I feel tomorrow -- there were walking lunges involved.]

Small, achievable goals. I'll amend this post with an update tonight. In the meantime, I hope you all have wonderful, productive days.

[note to self: three things tomorrow...]


**(I seem to have an addiction to parentheses. Em-dashes are a problem, too. I just can't seem to stop interrupting myself.)

4 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

I like the "three things" idea. And not only do I interrupt myself when I write, I have been told that I also speak in parentheses and dashes.

Anonymous said...

I owe you and the Wonder Chimp both thanks. I remember when you mentioned the "3 things a day" a while back and decided to apply it to my own life. As a true teacher would, I found inspiration after my own attempt to use the "3 things" was an utter failure. The success came in realizing that I could keep a good habit (I still use this system), I became aware of my procrastination (I only ever got 2 of 3 things done, creating an extra 7 things to do by Saturday), and now I've been doing something about said problem. Again, thanks to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I usually try and achieve six things, manage one or two and go to bed exhausted. Perhaps more realism is in order. And yes, I too recognise the friendship of good old —...

Belle said...

I like the idea! BTW, I just gave you the Inspiration award.