Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Girl Scholar Does the Holidays

Dateline: Home City

Today, 36 hours after leaving Fellowship City, I finally finished the last of this semester's errands -- you know, the semester I'm on leave? Yeah, that one. Anyway, the grad exam reports have been faxed in, the article MS sent off (later than I'd like, but not too late), and I'm traveling with work, because nothing says "Christmas" quite like two fragmented former dissertation chapters and a stack of articles.

Am I the only one who does this? Travels with work, I mean? I don't always actually do the work, mind you, but I've long ago ceased to be able to travel without at least three photocopied journal articles for every five days of vacation. It's a sickness, I know.

In other news: all but one of the presents (mom -- dear god) has been purchased, and I say thank the gods for Amazon, which will ship directly to the family homestead, where I can wrap them as they arrive. I am also lusting after a couple of consumer purchases for myself that I know the family won't be able to afford. And I helped dad decorate the tree tonight... and learned that there is a fine line between tree feng shui and OCD.

3 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Happy Holidays! Love the phrase "tree feng shui" !

Belle said...

Happy Hols! And I too always travel with work. And at least four novels, as I know I won't want to read the work stuff in bed or on the plane. So yeah, I end up with more paper than anything else.

So you're headed back to campus? What's up for the new term?

Anonymous said...

One year after you moved out, Dad organized the ornaments by year to be used. You'll find boxes labelled "do not use in '95."